Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] newbie
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:44:54 +0200

Malte Thoma schrieb:
> Hallo all you monotone gurus,
>
> I have to decide which vcs we will use in our groupe in the near future
> at the British Antarctic Survey in Cambridge. I strongly consider
> monotone but there are some thinks that don't work at the moment and
> that I haven't found in the documentation or by googeling:
>
> 1. Networking:
> Why do you use an own network protocol at port 5253?
> I wasn't able to open that service. Perhaps you can
> a) describe how to do that

nohup monotone -d some.db serve IP_or_name \* &

> b) is that also possible, if don't have an root account (as it is the case)

yes

> c) how can I use ssh instead of the 5253 port?

There's a ssh enabled revision on the net.venge.monotone.ssh branch
which enables "monotone serve -" (stdio) which enables said branch to
start a monotone process on a server on the fly. Documentation for this
branch is only available from the mailing list archive. AFAIK nobody
uses this feature at the moment (including me)

This is generally thought inferior to starting a dedicated monotone
server process because only _one_connection_at_a_time_ to the server is
possible (only one process can own the database at a time). Once you
started a server process you can use the port forwarding feature of ssh
to contact this server through a firewall.

ssh -N -C -L RECHNER:5253:RECHNER:5253 address@hidden &

> 2. cvs
> Is it possible to export a monotone database to an cvs-Repository?
> (I know, that Christof Petig has written some code for this)
> Is there a manual for this?

Not yet. I sent you the syntax in private mail ;-)

  monotone cvs_pull [-b branch] [repository module] (cvs update)
  monotone cvs_push (cvs commit)
  monotone cvs_takeover -b branch [module] (cvs import)

> If I need a unrealised branch for this, than I would be very thankfull,
> if you could describe how to import (checkout) this branch.

As I have answered in private mail: branch net.venge.monotone.cvssync on
venge.net. (See monotones home page for how to access the repository)

    Christof

PS: Your PGP key is not available from a public key server.