Re: [Monotone-devel] My report on monotone so far

From: Faré
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] My report on monotone so far
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:30:23 -0400

On 28/09/05, Justin Patrin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 9/28/05, Faré <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Can you explain to me why the output of monotone has this weird
>> newline without a carriage return?
>
> Weird? Just a newline is the way that Unix signals the end of a line.
> only Windows uses both. Macs use only a carriage return. The de-facto
> standard for web-based communication (and command-line tools) is the
> Unix format, which is only a newline.

The display problem I was experiencing was actually the server and the
client both writing to the terminal at the same time. In fact, I wrote
coproc monotone ... serve ... >&0 thinking that it would redirect both
stdin and stderr like >& usually does, whereas it's a different
file-descriptor-redirecting syntax that only redirects stdout. I would
have had to do a </dev/null >&0 2>&0. But actually, I only need a 2>
/dev/null since it's a coproc and not a &. So monotone is doing the
right thing, and the bug was wholly mine. Oops.

Sorry for the needless alarm. Code fixed on my page.

If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be
the process of putting them in. -- Dijkstra