Re: [Monotone-devel] Merging cvssync in small pieces: Pipe abstraction

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Merging cvssync in small pieces: Pipe abstraction
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:44:06 +0200

Christof Petig wrote:

Zbynek Winkler schrieb:
It is about how to do nonblocking check on a file descriptor descriptor
to see if there is some data available. It is not as heavy weight as a
full select.

If you need the full select, why don't you try
WaitForMultipleObjects(Ex)? IIRC it should allow you to wait on any
waitable object (file descriptor should be waitable) with timeout...
Many thanks for your input and commitment, but honestly I mostly need
some debugging hints. The whole thing is already coded and worked well
until I changed the unit_test to test against msys' cat for binary
transparency.
Oh, I didn't know. Sory for the noise then...

I use overlapping IO and WaitForSingleObject which worked some time ago
in a different example but the regression test (unit_tests) currently
blocks _somewhere_ (it might even be a msys peculiarity). strace is not
available on Win32 and Wine fails with
fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 29 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
(29 is ESPIPE).

So it looks like I have to reboot after work to try gdb (I already
compiled a cat.exe which does not involve msys).
Unfortunally I am not able to help with the debugging because some time ago I almost completely switched to Linux. Another thing is that my machine with 256MB of RAM is not able to compile monotone in any reasonable time with gcc :( [a lot of trashing]

I've converted to Mercurial and I had 2 main reasons:

1) not being able to compile monotone with gcc -- Mercurial is in Python

2) the need for custom 'server' and not being able to easily use one machine for multiple projects (one running instance of monotone handles only one database and I didn't want to put unreleated projects to the same database) -- Mercurial can export repositories over http using a Python cgi script (I can have as many different repositiories exported as I want) and any user with the right to execute cgi script can export repo without additional privileges

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic