Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug report: monotone add command fails on Windows

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Bug report: monotone add command fails on Windows
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:46:22 -0700

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:41:04AM -0700, Roger House wrote:
> monotone: searching for 'MT' directory with root '/'
> monotone: 'MT' not found in 'C:/OPENSO~1/Monotone/LEARN/WORKCOPY/MT'
> with '' removed
> monotone: search for 'MT' ended at 'C:/OPENSO~1/Monotone/LEARN/WORKCOPY'
> with 'MT' removed
> monotone: paths.cc:209: invariant 'I(is_valid_internal(data()))' violated

Ah, it looks like you're trying to add files that are in the
workcopy\MT directory.

The solution is "don't do that" :-).  The MT/ directory is reserved
for monotone's internal bookkeeping stuff; your files go in the plain
old workcopy\ directory.

The bug is that we forgot to put a high-level check for this in, so
it's only the low-level integrity checks that noticed, and they don't
give very good error messages.  I'll fix that.

> At the moment it seems that I can't do much with monotone on Windows.  I
> eagerly await some
> resolution of this problem so I can get going.  From the documentation,
> it looks like monotone
> is just the version control system that I am looking for.

Hope it works well for you.  Let us know if you have any more
thoughts/wishes/problems...

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."