Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: key trust

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: key trust
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:54:40 -0500

Lapo Luchini <address@hidden>  wrote:
> EXCEPT when the revocation reason is "key compromise", in that case
> you can't even trust old signatures from that key. ;-) (as they
> could be only "apparently" old, or the compromise could have been
> discovered only much after the damage was done)

Practically speaking, what would an attack look like that might have a
chance of being successful?  i.e.  Could you give examples, or a test
case to peruse?

I ask this because it seems exceptionally difficult to use a
compromised key to make *undetectable* "changes" in a database that
relies upon immutable history and a distributed nature.   I say
changes because additions are should be pretty straight forward to
pick out.

Let me give you these parameters:  We know that key
address@hidden is the compromised key, a key whose password is
known and used by a 3rd party.  It was discovered today, 13 October
2005 to have been compromised on 1 October, 2005.  It had been in used
legitimately since Jan 1, 2005.

1. How could this key be used to change history (your "apparently old"
   assertion)?

2. How could changes using this key since the supposed compromise date
   be missed in an audit?