Re: [Monotone-devel] branch naming conventions

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] branch naming conventions
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:57:16 -0500

Nathaniel Smith spake unto us the following wisdom:
>      This is also somewhat problematic (though this hasn't come up as
>      much yet, though it probably will as monotone usage grows),
>      because it means that if the, say, "address@hidden" key goes bad,
>      like it gets compromised or I lose the privkey or something, then
>      I can't replace it, I have to make a new name.
>      address@hidden is one option, but not terribly satisfying,
>      esp. since I don't know how well + addresses are supported
>      generally...

I use user+tag addresses with some frequency, and I have not noted any
particular problems with them.  + is a legal character in an address,
and only the end-host mailer must make the distinction as to whether
or not the tag following the + is significant; I know that sendmail
and postfix both do.  I'm not sure this is a good long-term solution
(it seems that expiring or otherwise invalidated keys should be
gracefully accounted for; opencm has this same problem), but it's
certainly workable stopgap.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.