Re: [Monotone-devel] Problems with net.venge.monotone.cvssync when pulli

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Problems with net.venge.monotone.cvssync when pulling from sourceforge
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:35:29 +0100

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker schrieb:
> Speaking of the cvssync branch, it fails some tests when doing 'make
> check'.  Do I need to be worried?

I am. ... checking ...

> 181: pull of CVS module step by step              FAILED
> (t_cvspull_separate.at:78)
> 184: take over a modified CVS checkout and push changes into CVSFAILED
> (t_cvstakeover_modified.at:46)

181: pull of CVS module step by step              ok
184: take over a modified CVS checkout and push changes into CVSok

(amd64, g++ 4.0.3, CVS 1.12.9, ubuntu dapper)

... so it works for me ...

> 185: CVS push with fork and merge                 FAILED
> (t_cvspush_loop.at:42)
> 188: takeover modified, cvs commit, pull (causing MD5 failure)FAILED
> (t_cvspull_md5fail.at:52)
>
> I was thinking of using this with OpenSSL, that'll probably be the
> ultimate torture test (we have tortured CVS in that project, believe
> you me...).

You may want to not stress cvssync to the full extent. It definitely has
problems when the time jumps (no I mean not summer vs. winter time)
because then the simplistic and easy to use map which sorts revisions by
time (to construct changesets) does not sort correctly concerning
heritage :-(. And it stresses the CVS server with the initial pull
[--since is much much nicer to the server, a full log over the project's
lifetime and constructing diffs between old revisions of a file is a
killer].

Try cvs_takeover (an _unmodified_ tree saves you worries elsewhere!*)
and continue to work from there. Merging, updating, committing etc.
really work nice and the server is not charged that much this way. Most
people (including me) do not need full history.

Also, sorry, cvssync does not handle side branches, yet. I yet failed to
find a decent command which gives me the exact branch-off-point of the
branch (revision number inspection seems the way to go).

Oh, and -ko saves you much headache when you have to resync with the cvs
server.

   Christof

*) cvssync inserts empty dummy files as the initial state which give a
MD5 sum error and also a warning if it gets to know the correct content
lateron.