Re: [Monotone-devel] temporary attributes, cvssync (was Re: What are ros

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] temporary attributes, cvssync (was Re: What are rosters)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:56:29 +0100

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:01:48AM +0100, Christof Petig wrote:
>
>>The only additional feature I missed when I developed cvssync was to
>>attach a file (or some sort of long text) to an already existing
>>revision. So if you'd ever come near to think about a feature like that
>>it would greatly help cvssync. [At the moment I use a fragile delta
>>encoded certificate chain to store cvs revisions and keyword expansion]
>

> Rosters don't help with that; attributes are still integrated into the
> immutable hashed data.
>
> I'm not sure what would... the cert chaining thing just doesn't feel
> right, but... it seems like what we want is, umm, file attributes
> that go away when a file is edited, or something.  Would that be
> an elegant solution?  Does it have enough semantic justification to
> integrate into monotone?  (I literally can't tell either way, it
> rings both my "hmm, sensible" and "gah, are you crazy?" intuitions at
> the same time.)  It would be sort of like a cleaned up file cert, but
> falling on the "data" side of the big "data"/"cert" divide.

My requirements are very simple: I need to attach a list of {CVS
revision per file} to an existing revision. Abusing recursive certs
never was the best idea and storing them fully per revision just takes
too much space.

IMHO the best would be a cert which says "you can find my contents in
file 0123456" and which would be maintained over netsync (indirection
certificates?).

> Random thought: perhaps someone who has done more work on mainline
> would like to be deputized to shepherd cvssync in?  Since I keep not
> having the time and being distracted by other things?

I'm not opposed to that at all. I simply don't see anybody stepping
forward ;-) .

   Christof