Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging one file

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging one file
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:45:03 -0800

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 02:30:14PM -0800, Conrad Steenberg wrote:
> I'm trying to tag just one file (or group of files, where the group is
> smaller than the entire tree). Is that possible?

I can't just point you at a part of the manual and say "yes, like
that", no :-).  But I'm not sure what exactly you really want; "tag a
group of files" seems like it could mean some different things.  What
do you want to use this for?  How would it work?

> Also, is it possible to determine the 'version' (hash) of a single file?
> Using 'monotone status some_filename' obviously gives the revision ID
> and manifest of the revision that some_file belongs to.

As Derek mentioned, if you want the hash you can use any SHA1 tool,
like the commonly available sha1sum.  Monotone also provides a simple
tool for general SHA1ing -- "monotone identify".

Usage:
  $ monotone identify <my/file
Or:
  $ monotone identify my/file
(but the latter doesn't take absolute paths, I'm not sure why not.)

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen