Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging one file

From: Conrad Steenberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging one file
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:29:36 -0800

Hi

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 19:45 -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 02:30:14PM -0800, Conrad Steenberg wrote:
> > I'm trying to tag just one file (or group of files, where the group is
> > smaller than the entire tree). Is that possible?
>
> I can't just point you at a part of the manual and say "yes, like
> that", no :-).  But I'm not sure what exactly you really want; "tag a
> group of files" seems like it could mean some different things.  What
> do you want to use this for?  How would it work?

A group of files might be a subdirectory of a tree, e.g. the botan or
lua subdirectories in the net.venge.monotone branch.

I think tagging a group of files might be similar to assigning an
attribute to those files, something like e.g. "BSD licensed" while other
files might be "GPL licensed". Or some files might be tagged as "Source
files" while others are "Documentation".

Attributes can be used for these kinds of "sticky" tags, except there
are no selectors based on attributes (I might have missed it in the
documentation though :-) Adding attribute selectors might be a useful
for other things too, I think.

--

For non-sticky tags, it might be useful to tag a certain part of a tree,
e.g. the lua or Botan libraries in the net.venge.monotone branch.

Does this make any sense?

Cheers

Conrad

> > Also, is it possible to determine the 'version' (hash) of a single file?
> > Using 'monotone status some_filename' obviously gives the revision ID
> > and manifest of the revision that some_file belongs to.
>
> As Derek mentioned, if you want the hash you can use any SHA1 tool,
> like the commonly available sha1sum.  Monotone also provides a simple
> tool for general SHA1ing -- "monotone identify".
>
> Usage:
>   $ monotone identify <my/file
> Or:
>   $ monotone identify my/file
> (but the latter doesn't take absolute paths, I'm not sure why not.)

Thanks that's what I was after.