Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents

From: rghetta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:05:52 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
As I understand, tailor does work with monotone as both a source and a
target; but tailor can only handle linear histories.  Even if
transferring from one DAG VCS to another, it has to throw away
everything except a single linear subgraph.

This could presumably be fixed.  I don't know if that would be more or
less work than starting from scratch.  (Presumably even if starting
from scratch, one could steal their VCS backend codes where useful.)

Yes, tailor can use monotone both as source and target, but supports only a single ancestor. When used as source, the monotone backend forces a linear history by faking the graph edges; i.e. the target will end up with all the revisions stored on monotone, but with bogus ancestors. Changeset data as generated by monotone contains also the *real* ancestors, however, so a capable backend *could* use those additional informations to recreate the real history. None of the current backed does that, not even monotone, because it lacks merge-via-working-directory. With that feature, I think adding full history support to tailor would be reasonably easy to implement.

Ciao,
Riccardo