Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:32:19 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:09:54 -0500, Yury Polyanskiy
<address@hidden> said:

ypolyans> On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 20:54 +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
wrote:
ypolyans> > If you want to focus on something, I'd focus on getting
ypolyans> > monotone to handle binary files in a better way (as in, at
ypolyans> > all).
ypolyans>
ypolyans> Doing a graceful conversion is I think one of the steps in
ypolyans> "getting monotone to handle binary files in a better way".

Nope.  Consider a binary file, which might contain anything and let's
consider a get_linesep_conv that always returns {"LF","CR"} (because
we run it on Mac, that's why).  Let's use a hypothetical monotone that
truly obeyes what you say, and therefore only split lines on \r when
reading from the workspace, and joins them again with \n internally
somewhere (because that's what get_linesep_conv said).  Now, the other
way around, the file is split on \n and all the lines are joined with
\r in between.  Still, the file is different and produces incorrect
results when used.  Why?  Because this binary file had a few embedded
\n.  This is a common problem that has been around for ages.

So, monotone needs to know internally if a file is text or non-text,
and needs to do conversions (both charset, which is a similar and
bigger can of worms) on text files only.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/