Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:31:42 +0100

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

monotone> However, the basic idea seems sound: distinguish binary and
monotone> text, and for text, assume (by default) native line-endings.

Or any line ending.  It doesn't really matter because for text files,
the line ending isn't really interesting in itself, it's just a layout
indicator, saying "break the line here".  (I realised this yesterday,
while discussing this issue)
Let me disagree. An example where this is not true is python. It is not layout indicator, it says "this is the end of statement".

I think I like more the way mercurial does this - it does not convert anything by itself. But it allows you to specify "filters" (in/out) that are called to process the files on commit or checkout. I think it follows the principle of least surprise (by default *do not play with user data*).

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic