Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 07:26:28 -0500

Thomas Moschny spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Quoting Matthew Hannigan:
> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 07:50:51AM -0500, Yury Polyanskiy wrote:
> > > Again: solution is trivial. "Transform what I ask you to (LF->CRLF and
> > > back) and don't mess with anything special (like CR->CRLF etc)."
> >
> > The other nice thing about this is that it's perfectly
> > reversible, even for 'binary' files.
>
> But what, if my binary contains an LF somewhere? After a check-in-check-out
> cycle, I will see this replaced with CRLF, won't I?

Yes; this does not solve the binary problem completely.  In this case
(checking a binary containing an LF in on a CRLF system), the file in
the repository will not be at all corrupt, and simply marking it as
binary would "fix" the problem.  Note that the checkin of a file
containing a CRLF *would* be corrupt -- but as I mentioned in a
previous email, this is really an orthogonal issue.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.