Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 07:24:22 -0500

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker spake unto us the following wisdom:
> mlh> On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 07:50:51AM -0500, Yury Polyanskiy wrote:
> mlh> > Again: solution is trivial. "Transform what I ask you to
> mlh> > (LF->CRLF and back) and don't mess with anything special (like
> mlh> > CR->CRLF etc)."
> mlh>
> mlh> The other nice thing about this is that it's perfectly
> mlh> reversible, even for 'binary' files.
>
> Provided CRLF would be the internal normal line end form.  It is
> currently not, so the real transformation on commit would be
> CRLF->LF.  Then, when checking out, the reverse transformation would
> occur, LF->CRLF.  Here's where the fun start, what do you think
> happens if said binary had an embedded LF somewhere to begin with?

This should still be reversible.  You are correct that the checked-out
binary will be corrupted, but it will not show up as changed, and nor
would it be corrupted on checkin.  The working space corruption is a
problem with whether or not the file was marked binary, which is
orthogonal.

I don't understand what the pushback is here ... Yury seems to be
suggesting something which is clearly correct to me, and it's being
conflated with a separate problem (marking files as binary) and
dismissed.

> Do you suggest that monotone should have CRLF as the internal normal
> line end form?

This is immaterial.  (I personally prefer LF, of course, because all
of my work is on Unix.)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.