Re: [Monotone-devel] "monotone diff" header doesn't contain revision inf

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] "monotone diff" header doesn't contain revision information
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 01:10:15 -0800

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 03:23:46PM +0100, Tom Koelman wrote:
> I noticed that the output of "monotone diff" contains a detailed
> header which files were added, deleted, patched and so on, but not
> what was diffed with what. All the file hashes in the diff are nice to
> have, but don't lead me to the actual revisions.  Would it be a good
> idea to mention something at the start of the output of "monotone
> diff" like
>
> # Diff of revision xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> #    with revision xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> or
>
> # Diff of revision xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (branch
> xxx.branch)
> #    with revision xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (branch xxx.main)
>
> or even
>
> # Diff of working copy d.d. 2006-01-20 of x:/WorkingCopy
> #    with revision xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hmm, this does seem like handy info to have around.  I've stuck it up
on the quickies list:
  http://venge.net/monotone/quickies.html
(maybe we should move this list to the wiki...)

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco