Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming monotone executable (again)

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming monotone executable (again)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:18:58 +1100

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 04:15:53AM -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>   -- Having a single, standard abbrev is very useful.  If, for
>      instance, we switch the command name to "mtn", we should also (I
>      suggest):
>        -- make the bookkeeping directory MTN (instead of MT)

If this is to change, let's please use .MTN (or equivalent for the
eventual name), and make it selectable by a hook in
~/monotone/monotonerc or the environment.

>   -- I'm kind of fond of "m" (take _that_, you upstart 2-letter
>      systems like hg!), but it got shouted down the last time I
>      suggested it :-).
>   -- "mmm" -- less boring than other suggestions, has appropriate
>      associations ;-), and is, in fact, a mono-tone... but just
>      perhaps a bit too cute.  Also, annoying to type.

I don't really want to get into the bikeshed about what name to use,
but since you're explicitly polling for opinions
:
 m, mm, or mmm are good/clever/cute.  I don't mind cute, in this
 sense, if it results in a good name people will remember.  hg is the
 classic example of a cute name that works.  mm is probably the best
 of these, and I'd be happy with that.

 monotone is just fine by me as is, frankly.

 the others are all just not compelling or interesting enough to be
 worthwhile, somehow.  even mtn, which seems to be popular, has the
 feeling of a least-common-denominator or least-bad compromise, to me.

If/whichever we choose, I agree that aligning the various
abbreviations in dot files and namespaces to the one thing is
worthwhile.

--
Dan.