[Monotone-devel] Re: renaming monotone executable (again)

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: renaming monotone executable (again)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:08:10 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
> Should we want to differentiate ourselves in google searches, perhaps
> trying a few names on google now might be useful.
>
> mmm -- 8,490,000 Google hits
> mm -- 109,000,000
> m -- 1,340,000,000
> mtn -- 6,410,000
> mon -- 206,000,000
> monotone -- 2,950,000

But as Google told us all the "mere number" of hits is of very scarce
importance, only the rank is.
"monotone" might return some 3 million hits (it's an English word, after
all), but "the monotone website" ranks #1.

Searching for "mtn" (my favourite) doesn't find anything
monotone-related on the first 10 pages of results (much further than the
average user ever goes) but, of course, that is NOT the current name, so
this is pretty much normal. Even in the homepage were titled "mtn" and
all I don't think we could manage to rank #1 (there are a few firms with
that very domain name), but should quite probably be in the first page.

Anyway I don't think it is very useful being "found by name": if someone
knows the exact name it probably knows the URL as well.
Rather is important the ranking in searches such as:
distributed version control: #1
distributed versioning: #1
distributed vcs: #38 (thru other.html, matching "distributed" in the
title and "vcs" in "Jedi VCS", as the title use "VC systems" instead of
"VCS")
distributed cvs: >30 if at all

Another objection could be that if people only wants to "migrate from
CVS to somethign better" he may well not think of the adjective
"distributed", but well, that's the main selling point of monotone...
> and finally,
> gienhu -- no hits
> So gienhu is the clear winner, with monotont a distant second.

"mtnmtn" would be much closer, with its 200 hits =)

    Lapo