Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming monotone executable (again)

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming monotone executable (again)
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 07:07:10 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:11:23 -0800, "Justin Patrin"
<address@hidden> said:

papercrane> Am I just being dense or wouldn't a simple conditional
papercrane> #define fix this?

Does this answer your question (a few of those are not the admin
directory, so the real number is closer to 25)?

  : ; grep MT *.cc | sed -e 's,//.*$,,' | grep MT | wc -l
  30

And then, there is every script (FYI, perl and python are ported to
VMS) that fiddle with or look in the admin directory.  It looks like a
small thing today, but it's something that has to be remembered in the
future, and I'm sorry for all the toes I'm stepping on by saying this,
most Unix folks do not have a tendency to remember such details.  The
end result is that every time someone adds a reference to the admin
directory somewhere and forgets to do it using the officially
stipulated symbol, it will break on all platforms where a dotted file
doesn't work.  Been there, done that, got really tired of it, yada,
yada, yada...

In the big scheme of things, this may look like a small thing.
Unfortunately, these small annoyances have a tendency to muddy the
waters, so to say, when all everyone wants is a beautiful world.

Anyway, I think my piece on the subject.  In the end, graydon and njs
will have to weigh what everyone said and make a decision, and I will
respect that.

Cheers,
Richard

-----