Re: [Monotone-devel] The dark side of content addressing

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] The dark side of content addressing
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:40:33 +0100

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

I read through your examples, and intuition said "salt to first
revision!" before I came to the paragraph where you said exactly
that.  I trust my intuition on this, so the only thing I can say is
"go ahead".

My intuition said that too - but then I remembered the big discussion about Graydon not liking GUIDs, back when we were originally discussing revisions. An alternative, which sticks with a kind of content-basedness, might be to take the hash of the branch name.

Upside: no reliance on availability and reliability of entropy.
Downside: still content based, you get the same problem if Alice and Bob name their branches the same way.

Introducing this kind of randomness might also have some implications for test repeatability?

Overall, I can't immediately think of any security problems with the current behaviour -- and by implication, no problems of the branch-name-based-initial-revision-hash occur to me either. Might using the hash of the branch name be a better way to go?

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.