[Monotone-devel] [bikeshed] envelope please

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] [bikeshed] envelope please
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 01:22:24 -0800

Right, let's get this over with.  'mtn' seems the least bad for the
basic name.  For the bookkeeping dir, _MTN seemed to have the most
consensus (though IIRC Graydon liked _mtn better, so if he wants to
put in a last minute plea, I guess we can talk).

So:
  -- bookkeeping dir changes to _MTN as soon as possible; this is, at
     least in principle, a change that can require rebuilds, so I want
     it in for 0.26
  -- exxecutable changes name from 'monotone' to 'mtn'.  This is
     pretty simple, and probably worth getting in to 0.26, just
     because it's going to be a huge pain (more than later UI changes,
     that'll generally just affect some particular part of the UI).
  -- attr namespace for monotone's attrs becomes 'mtn'.  It already
     is, so no problem.
  -- docs updated to show "mtn" as the recommended suffix for database
     files.  Totally trivial.
  -- maybe change the configuration dir from ~/.monotone to ~/.mtn.
     No-one seemed to much care for this idea, which seemed a little
     weird to me (I dunno, would you expect ls to find its
     configuration in ~/.list?), but whatever, this isn't really
     urgent anyway so I'm happy to ignore it for now.
Anything else I'm forgetting?

- Don't let your informants burn anything.
- Don't grow old.
- Be good grad students.
  -- advice of Murray B. Emeneau on the occasion of his 100th birthday