Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.26 status update

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.26 status update
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:50:18 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 4 Apr 2006 04:07:13 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs>        -- the ticker bug with i18n locales -- I've seen at least two
njs>           reports of people running into this recently, and it's quite
njs>           nasty (monotone is basically unusuable without jumping
njs>           through hoops).  We should get rid of it.

If that's what I think it is, it's specific to these french
translations:

  #: netsync.cc:708
  msgid "bytes in"
  msgstr "octets $,1wi(B"

  #: netsync.cc:710
  msgid "bytes out"
  msgstr "octets $,1wg(B"

  #: netsync.cc:714
  msgid "certs in"
  msgstr "certs $,1wi(B"

  #: netsync.cc:716 netsync.cc:729
  msgid "revs in"
  msgstr "r.ANivs $,1wi(B"

  #: netsync.cc:721
  msgid "certs out"
  msgstr "certs $,1wg(B"

  #: netsync.cc:723 netsync.cc:731
  msgid "revs out"
  msgstr "r.ANivs $,1wg(B"

For those having a problem seeing what the characters are, the
translation of "in" is a down arrow and the translation of "out" is an
up arrow.  I debugged this as far as I could, and what happens is that
somewhere internally, those arrows get replaced with a question mark
("?").  Now, when several tickers are in action at once, there's a
requirement that each ticker has a unique title.  Unfortunately, with
all those arrows becoming question marks, what happens is that you get
"octets ?" and "octets ?", which is far from unique :-).

The ticker code itself is not responsible for the question marks, they
are already there in the strings received by the constructors, and I
haven't been able to figure much further.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/