Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.26pre3: invariant 'I(utf8_validate(path))' violat

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.26pre3: invariant 'I(utf8_validate(path))' violated
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 06:35:37 -0700

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 03:21:21PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I get this error:
>
>   $ mtn ls unknown
>   mtn: fatal: std::logic_error: paths.cc:194: invariant
> 'I(utf8_validate(path))' violated

Hmm.  I guess you have some file somewhere with 8 bit characters in
its name?  I notice your locale is "C", so monotone has no idea how to
interpret such things...

(There might actually be a bug in monotone in this respect, so
changing the locale doesn't help either, but that's a separate matter
:-).)

This seems a little overzealous to be crashing on 'ls unknown' for
this problem, but I'm not sure how to fix it without dangerously
relaxing integrity checking... hmm.

Also, I'm not sure what 'ls unknown' _should_ do with files that are,
well, illegal, because monotone cannot give them a name.  'unknown'
means something like 'candidate for mtn add', but such files are _not_
candidates for 'mtn add'.  I guess it could just spit out warnings for
such files, and otherwise pretend they don't exist.

(Could you file a bug?  I don't think this is a release blocker,
unless it turns out that really 'ls unknown' is just broken for
everyone or something.)

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling