[Monotone-devel] How to determine if a file is version controlled?

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: [Monotone-devel] How to determine if a file is version controlled?
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:24:55 +0200

I was trying to extend my emacs mode for monotone
and for this I wanted to know if a certain file
is tracked by monotone.
To my surprise, I couldn't easily figure out an efficient way
to do this.

Problem:
-------
Write a function

is_tracked_by_mtn (string filename)

that returns TRUE if the the file indicated
by filename is tracked by monotone and
FALSE otherwise.

Slow solution.
-------------
Use

   monotone automate inventory

and do some path manipulation on the input
filename and resulting output to see
if the file is tracked by monotone.

Other idea 1
------------

Use

   monotone status filename

this will fail because monotone status does not
distinguish between unchanged files and ignored files.

Other idea 2
------------

Use

   monotone log --brief --last=1 filename

and use the following logic:

* If result code == 0
AND
* output contains one line

the file is tracked by monotone.

However this fails because for example

   monotone log --brief --last=1   /Users/woudshoo/.elisp/e-monotone/TODO

gives the following error:

   monotone: misuse: absolute path '/Users/woudshoo/.elisp/e-monotone/TODO' is
invalid

Huh??? wat is wrong with my absolute path?

Question
--------

Is there an efficient way to find this out?

Wim Oudshoorn.