Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: results of mercurial user survey
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:56:15 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:19:01 +0100, Bruce Stephens
<address@hidden> said:

monotone> OK, here's some back of the envelope costs.  "openssl speed"
monotone> says it can do 632761 64 byte SHA1's per second, 194433 1K
monotone> per second.  The current repository contains 6084 revisions,
monotone> so double that (for a revision and a roster) and call it
monotone> 20000.
[...]
monotone> RSA verification also seems not too bad: openssl says it can
monotone> do about 7000 verifies of 1024 bit keys per second, so for
monotone> 25000 certs that's less than 10s.  Maybe more (maybe the
monotone> openssl speed test uses just one key or something, which
monotone> might end up in a cache), but it doesn't seem worth worrying
monotone> about, IMHO.

OpenSSL is quite fast in those areas (not necessarely the fastest, but
previous tests have shown that it's up there).  Out of curiosity, have
to done similar tests with the Botan libraries, which is what monotone
uses?

Cheers,
Richard

-----