Re: [Monotone-devel] automate inventory

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] automate inventory
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 15:29:57 -0500

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 22:30 -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
[snip]
> The first entry is mildly interesting: the root dir is listed as missing
> since there is no "" path in my workspace. In some ways I really wonder
> if the root path should be called "." and if all the other paths should
> be "./foo" but this is a rather invasive change to make.

Need a special case for this, I guess?

> The format is a bit different from Tim's suggestion in that
> {old,new}_{id,type} are only reported if the path exists in the old or
> new roster respectively.

Sounds good.

> I wondered about combining the old new items
> into one line like:
>
>       old_node "123" "file"
>       new_node "456" "directory"

Maybe, although it kinda seems the {old,new}_type lines would be nice to
have, to go with fs_type...?

> I'm not sure if optional lines like these are a good thing or not?

Rosters use optional lines for handling attrs, so I wouldn't think
there's anything wrong with it.

> The fs_type line may be "file", "directory" or "none".
>
> The status line will appear as "known", "missing", "unknown", "ignored"
> or "invalid" for paths in these states. Paths are "invalid" if the new
> roster and filesystem disagree on type (file vs dir). I wonder whether
> we should already something like ls_invalid for listing these.
>
> The content line will only appear for files and may be "unchanged",
> "changed" or "unknown" (with the last used for missing/invalid files).
>
> The attr line will always appear and may be "unchanged" or changed". I
> don't have it listing the individual set/cleared/changed attrs as Tim
> suggested as this seems inconsistent with what's being reported for
> content. To see content differences you need to use diff so why would
> inventory list detailed attr differences?

I'd think of "detailed attr differences" as giving the acutal values of
the attrs.

> The output is obviously quite a bit more verbose with this format:
>
> (proposed format)
> $ ./mtn automate inventory|wc
>    13645   23186  235023
>
> (current format)
> $ mtn automate inventory | wc
>     1934    6647   59730
>
> and hrm... mainline mtn fails in my workspace - one more reason we need
> to change! (the above is from a clean workspace)
>
> I'm not sure about optional lines verses "unchanged" lines for things
> like status, content and attrs. Any preferences?

Optional lines seem meant for when there are cases where the line is
meaningless (if a node didn't exist in the old roster, what does old_id
mean?), or possibly if there's a sane, logical, clear default (a list of
things, but the list is empty). None of the status, content, or attrs
lines seem to fit this.

> So, do we want to go ahead with this?

Sure, nobody seems to be objecting... :)

Tim