[Monotone-devel] Request for new features

From: Yogesh.Sajanikar
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Request for new features
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:52:22 +0200

Hello,

I have been playing with monotone for a while, and immediately liked it.

I would like to see following features in monotone. Most of these features are required when the project has many developers working on it.  Typically a person is working on a single module, and other modules are irrelevant for him to checkout, he is satisfied with a set of headers, and prebuilt binaries.

If many people change lots of sources, then there are always chances that prebuilt binaries are out of sync with the source. Such a situation should be avoided. My suggestions are:

  1. A person commits, and issues a sync command.
  2. Server merges the changes.
  3. May be the integration person builds the server workspace, corrects build errors such as porting errors, does a smoke test.
  4. Till this is done, anyone who syncs with server gets the last-good-source and prebuilt binaries.
  5. After integration certifies the build to be okay, he publishes the server workspace, and hereafter everyone who syncs with workspace gets the latest source.
Giving such a grannular control, in my view, should enables the project manager to keep server in a sane state.

Is such feature can be implemented over monotone?

~Yogesh