[Monotone-devel] Problems with _MTN/tmp

From: Ian France
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Problems with _MTN/tmp
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:47:10 +0100

Hi guys,

I'm sorry that I don't have time to investigate this any further myself, but I have come across a problem which I think is related to entries being left over in _MTN/tmp. I am running monotone 0.26 (base revision: 4342565107f26ceda955b66c66b5b7ec152f314e).

When swapping branches using "mtn update --branch=com.example.newbranch --revision=h:com.example.newbranch" I received the following output:

mtn: expanding selection 'h:com.example.newbranch'
mtn: expanded to '879ff04f5e5aed535f2c2fb3419393c32b451bf2'
mtn: selected update target 879ff04f5e5aed535f2c2fb3419393c32b451bf2
mtn: dropping somepath/somefile.java
mtn: dropping anotherpath/anotherfile.java
mtn: dropping anotherpath_but_a_directory_this_time_not_a_file
mtn: error: could not remove '_MTN/tmp/3'
mtn: error: Directory not empty

Curiously, IMHO, the _MTN/tmp/3 directory contained a backup of one of the files dropped above. i.e. anotherpath/anotherfile.java~

Upon checking with mtn status I was informed that lots of files were missing and that I should use mtn revert --missing. I did so, and tried the update again. This time I had another error in _MTN

mtn: misuse: rename target '_MTN/tmp/4' already exists

Again I had to do a mtn revert to restore my directory.

So, I deleted the _MTN/tmp directory and ran the update again. Hey presto it all worked.

I hadn't been doing anything funny before running the first update. The last thing I had done was to commit the final changes in the branch I was about to leave.

Again I'm sorry I don't have time to try to create a reproducable error for you. I hope though that this might be enough info for you.

Thanks for all the great work,

Ian France.