Re: [Monotone-devel] Problems with _MTN/tmp

From: Rob Schoening
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Problems with _MTN/tmp
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:28:06 -0700

The CC mvfs filesystem definitely gets points for being clever, especially being able to access arbitrary branches / versions using simple filename extensions.

But as you alluded to, it is too clever for its own good in a lot of ways.

Beware any VCS that needs to run in kernel mode!

The level of effort of implementing something like this has always seemed an order of magnitude greater than the VCS itself.  But I wonder if some kind of virtual filesystem could be made generic enough to be shared across a variety of tools...version control, content management, etc.

I'm not suggesting that it be done here, or in response to this issue, or even at all...merely that it would make for an interesting project in and of itself.

RS

Clearcase adds a new loopback filesystem to the kernel, which allows it to
track both managed (under CM) and view private files.

Dynamic views in clearcase are a wonder to work with, except for the
performance hit (which is often due to poor configuration of systems and
the lack of the solaris 'doors' functionality on Windows. Doors allow
cross process RPC calls within the same timeslice, so making calls to a
daemon much faster as there is no wait on the scheduler)

On the other hand, clearcase snapshot views suffer all the same problems
as any non-managed workspace, but perform at native file system speed.

Joel