Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp

From: Joel Crisp
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:43:21 +0100

Hmm.. I use a feature called "labels" or the other feature audited builds for
that.

For those not in the know, audited builds record *every* file touched by a build (or any process launched from a build) using a custom shell extension (probably a wrapper on stdio, but I'm not sure of that), either by checksumming (not managed) or by clearcase version (managed). At the end of the build you get a complete bill of parts, telling you *exactly* what went into the build.

Clearmake is a GNU and nmake compatible make which uses clearcase version checks rather than datestamps when working out which dependencies are out of date

My personal belief is that people don't use the versioned file system for patent reasons - I don't think it adds any more complexity than say the Documentum file system or any of the linux userspace file systems (like overlay, compress, webdav, smbfs etc)

Anyway, in modern (UCM) clearcase the config spec is mostly generated
automatically and hidden from the end-user

Joel