Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp

From: Johan Bolmsjö
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:32:49 +0200

On Thursday 01 June 2006 01.43, Rob Schoening wrote:
> I got a laugh about the comment that everyone seems to moan about clearcase
> until they aren't using it.   Very true.  It is powerful, but can be a real
> pain.
>
> But to the point of "what CC-style features would be nice to see in
> monotone?"
>
> One of the best features of CC is the ability to simply and easily write
> scripts that dig into the VOB (repository).

I'll be constructive this time. Some features from CC that I find useful.

- Obsoleting branches.

If you are a bunch of people working on a project and use feature branches you
will end up with a ton of branches that have been merged back to the main
project branch and are not really that interesting. E.g. "mtn ls branches"
list all branches. Maybe it would be nice if you could mark/unmark a branch
as obsolete. Just to not see it when doing day to day work. I know in
monotone you can create a new repository and just pull the branches you want
to keep (I'm not sure if this pulls contributing branches). But this is more
work since you have to keep a master repository somewhere to keep the entire
history.

Properties of obsoleted branches:
- Read only (can not commit to them, might be a problem with monotones
distributed nature, although if someone has commited to a branch you have
obsoleted the other guy has effectively marked it as non obsolete)
- Invisible for "mtn ls branches" if you do not specify otherwise.
- Mostly invisible in the clearcase version tree browser for a file (just a
little arrow head at file versions where this branch has been merged to (not
too obtrusive).

- Renaming tags and branches.

Sometimes you make mistakes and rename is always good to not make you nervous
when you decide on a branch/tag name. I've seen maybe this will go into
monotone some day.

- Version tree browser.

Even if it's slow at displaying files where you have many versions. It's a
powerful tool to visualize the branches and merges for a file/directory.
If you find a bug the version tree browser easily let you find out where this
change occured. I know graphical tools are not part of "core" monotone.
Anyone can make a really good version browser:-) It just takes time :-) mtn
automake need to stabilize...

/Johan