Re: [Monotone-devel] windows case sensitivity issues

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] windows case sensitivity issues
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:09:40 -0700

On 6/5/06, Shawn Samuel <address@hidden> wrote:
Haven't seen anything in the archives about this specific issue. For a
while, now on 0.26, we have some case sensitivity issues which causes
monotone to report redundant changes. We are entirely using monotone
on Windows.

Here's sample output from mtn diff:

# patch "src/Data/Common/Person.cs"
#  from [15ada2601e3517db164dd2e9eeaa67c798cdc760]
#    to [7a9412b945f51e961c7d1a51d75a4a745b5f551b]
#
# patch "src/data/common/Person.cs"
#  from [15ada2601e3517db164dd2e9eeaa67c798cdc760]
#    to [7a9412b945f51e961c7d1a51d75a4a745b5f551b]

So mtn thinks the same change is being made to two different
paths. Everything works fine, except that:

1) mtn log reports the same change twice
2) if a merge conflict occurs, you have to make the same merge twice

If we merge and make different choices, I sort of assume that the
latest choice will win, but I'm a little scared of what will
happen. Or if one of the affected files gets renamed or deleted.

This only happens to a small subset of our files. I don't know how
this duplication got introduced in the first place.

Can I fix this by dropping the files with the bad path casing? Ideas?
Should I just try it out?

My guess would be that someone used one case when adding the files and
someone else used another case. Or perhaps that they were added with
one case but the working copy has another case. I suggest to try
dropping one of them and see if it fixes the problem, but do this on a
copied DB just in case I'm completely wrong.

--
Justin Patrin