Re: [Monotone-devel] Running Monotone as a personal VCS

From: Paul Moore
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Running Monotone as a personal VCS
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:22:28 +0100

On 6/15/06, rghetta <address@hidden> wrote:
Paul Moore wrote:

> Does this approach sound feasible? If it will work at all, I can give
> it a go and get a feel for whether it's too clumsy to be practical,
> but I don't want to waste too much time setting up something that will
> never actually work in practice...

Imho, your scenario should work, but you could also try the monotone
plain (or 'dumb') protocol, provided that your isp allows sftp in
addition to plain ftp.
Oh, you need also python.
Look into branch net.venge.monotone.dumb for a command line client
(plain.py) and a small readme.

Sounds good - presumably I'd need to build from source for this? (I'm
on Windows, so I'm spoilt by prebuilt binaries :-))

If I follow the readme correctly, I can do 2-way sync with sftp, but
only 1-way with http or ftp. I'm not sure what "plain files" means
here - presumably local filesystem access?

Unfortunately, my ISP does only provide ftp and http, so I'm stuck
with 1-way sync, or copying files about. Actually, even if they did,
I'd still be stuck at work, where the firewall only lets http and ftp
through :-( Is there a particular reason why ftp can't do 2-way sync?

I'll see about a file copying approach. I should be able to script it
so it's not too painful.

Thanks,
Paul.