Re: [Monotone-devel] Merge frustration

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Merge frustration
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:45:24 -0700

On 6/21/06, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
Justin Patrin schrieb:
> 2 things. First, I would suggest trying monotone 0.27. It's much
> better for merge resolution (it shouldn't list as many things as
> having conflicts, IIRC). Second, if the conflicts you're seeing seem
> nonsensical, try monotone merge --lca.

mtn merge no longer has --lca (I think in 0.26 this option was still
listed, but had no functionality since the move to the new rosters code)

Whoops, sorry about that. I was thinking 0.25, not 0.26. --lca indeed
should no longer do anything in 0.26,

>> 2 - If I make a mistake with merging, I don't want monotone to throw
>>     out all the work I have done up to that point.
>>

> This would be "fixed" by "merge-in-workspace", but that feature has
> not been finished as yet.

What about this (may be an intermediate resolution since I don't know
how long it will take to implement workspace merge):

If a merge fails, mtn asks the user if he

a) wants to retry merging the file
b) wants to create a new revision based on the already merged fragments
(since he can trigger another merge later on without problems)
c) wants to abort the merge

?

Even any of the above two options would be better than the current
behaviour, e.g. there could be a command line switch "--ignore-errors"
which does b)

Thomas.