Re: [Monotone-devel] Question for Tim - testsuite.lua giant list

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Question for Tim - testsuite.lua giant list
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 14:04:00 -0500

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 10:26 -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Is the giant list of test cases in testsuite.lua there because there's
> no readdir() equivalent in Lua's standard library, or is there some
> better reason?

No, I could fairly easily add that. One reason is that it seems nice to
have the tests in a known order, with new tests added at the end. This
is so that a given test always gets the same number, because test
numbers can be nice for some things. (In particular, the newest test can
always be referred to as "-1", which is convenient for running it with
less typing.)

Another reason is that not everything in the tests/ directory is a test.
There are a couple of other files used by the tests (various hooks, and
the test keys), and also a directory tests/common/ with include files
for working with CVS or netsync. Although I suppose that wouldn't be a
problem if what we looked for was $TEST_DIR/*/__driver__.lua .

Tim