[Monotone-devel] Re: Automate stdio chunk size

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Automate stdio chunk size
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:45:41 +0100

Thomas Moschny <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> So are there any objections against setting
> constants::automate_stdio_size to, say, 1MB? Is there anyone('s
> application) depending on smaller chunks? Should we increase the
> automate format version number?

How about makeing the chunk size settable using a new command (leaving
the default as it is)?  Or set the default to 1M (or BUFSIZ, or
something), and then clients that would deadlock have a way to set it
to something smaller.

I'm not sure whether 1M would cause a problem.  I wouldn't rule it out
for some simpler clients (using synchronous I/O and polling various
inputs).