Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Triggers

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Triggers
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:34:55 -0700

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 07:26:52PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Daniel Carosone schreef:
> > The note_* hooks Richard was talking about are exactly these kinds of
> > triggers.
> >
> > An important point about these triggers is that you don't want to do
> > much work directly inside of them, and that of course they run in
> > the user context of the server.
>
> Right now that isn't a problem, the the server runs under the same account as
> all the other stuff
> needs to be. I get the idea that the current ciabot trigger is a bit
> overengineered and fragiles,

Hmm, it seems quite simple and robust to me -- all it needs is a flat
file and it's robust against many sorts of failures... running things
in the server's address space seems much more fragile.

Though, it occurs to me that we have process spawning machinery now
(and have for a while, for that matter).  Is there any reason we
should just recommend to people that they use the hooks to spawn some
process, like every other VCS's hooks work?

> but I might be biased by my general dislike of python[1].
> [1] @^#&*^$@ indenting...

Oh, well, on this I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :-).

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey