[Monotone-devel] Re: Project Management

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Project Management
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:40:24 -0700

Thomas Keller wrote:

In the end this is a software project about distributed version control,
and maybe that kind of "decentral, distributed project management" which
happens at the moment is part of the nature of this project (and
explicitly wanted), so one might forgive me if I ask for a structure in
this regard, but my inner feeling keeps telling me that its needed.

Perhaps it's needed. I don't know. I don't even really have time or inclination to keep up with the patch flow. I figure people will fix things that bother them and leave the rest alone. Occasionally I open up files to see how they've changed. If I don't like what I see I suggest or make changes. Likewise if some part of its behavior annoys me.

Otherwise I don't see much reason to impose structure on how people spend their volunteer time. Especially if I have to spend some of *my* volunteer time in order to impose it; who wants to volunteer to be a manager? Maybe you see monotone as a much larger project than I do. I just want a reliable tool for a bunch of VC tasks CVS falls down on.

To your objections to the automate interface: do you think it would help for automate commands to have basic_io *and* line-based output formats? Say, selectable with a command-line flag? We could possibly insist that all commands provide both, or maybe even make some sort of output helpers that can format the same data 2 ways.

-graydon