[Monotone-devel] RFC/preview: automate interface for cvssync

From: Christof Petig
Subject: [Monotone-devel] RFC/preview: automate interface for cvssync
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:36:38 +0200

Hi,

as announce earlier this year I worked on separating the cvs
synchronisation from monotone core. The core part is mainly done (and my
custom binary which uses sanity.h, ui.h, cmd.h etc. actually compiles,
runs and parses its options).

The following additional automate commands are part of
nvm.cvsssync.refactor:

automate cert REVISION-ID NAME VALUE
   works like mtn cert but is usable from automate stdio

automate db_set DOMAIN NAME VALUE
   ditto for mtn set

automate db_get DOMAIN NAME
   ditto for mtn ls vars & grep

----- these commands are usable to sync without using a workspace

automate put_file [BASE-ID] CONTENT
   enables to check in a file without a transition workspace

automate put_revision REVISION-DATA
   enables to create revisions without a workspace

----- these commands attach information* to an already present revision

automate put_sync_info REVISION DOMAIN DATA
   attach data to REVISION in DOMAIN

automate get_sync_info REVISION DOMAIN
   retrieve data from REVISION in DOMAIN

automate find_newest_sync DOMAIN [BRANCH]
   find the last changed sync node

I would love to get some feedback on the code since it is intended to
get mainline. Syncing with different RCSs (svn,git) should get easier
using this automate interface, too.

The documentation so far consists mainly of tests and source comments.

   Christof

PS: I can separate these features into a back-propagation branch if wanted.

*) The information attachment is meant to be space efficient (xdiff
encoded where possible) and uses both special files ".mtn-syn-*" and
certificates where it has to attach information to an already present
revision.