Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: MTN-over-SSH's syntax

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: MTN-over-SSH's syntax
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 02:39:24 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:10:54 +1000, Daniel Carosone
<address@hidden> said:

dan> Thing is, if I understand the URI format correctly, absolute ssh
dan> paths should actually look like ssh://foo.bar.net//path/to/foo.mtn
dan>
dan> After the hostname, the first slash is part of the URI format,
dan> and the second is part of the path locator that makes it
dan> absolute.  Locators for ssh:// URI's (or, at least elsewhere,
dan> scp:// URI's) are relative to the user home dir by default
dan> because that's how ssh (or, at least, scp) behaves.
dan>
dan> So if I've understood correctly, our current form,
dan> ssh://foo.bar.net/dir/foo.mtn should instead be relative. The
dan> following forms should also be expected to work:
dan>
dan>   ssh://host/~/dir/foo.mtn form, as njs proposed, and
dan>   ssh://address@hidden/~user2/dir/foo.mtn

I think the following draft covers it:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-04.txt

With the ssh: scheme, the semantics of the path is really undefined,
but if we look at the sftp: scheme (as you almost suggested), your
understanding wasn't correct.  Look at sections 4.4 and 6.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/