[Monotone-devel] Re: mtn add weirdness

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: mtn add weirdness
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 13:10:59 +0100

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> To be clear -- the reason it works the way it does is that you added
> two files.  Then, by using a restriction, you told monotone to
> commit just one of them and not the other.  Since it is not possible
> to do that, monotone complained, and the solution is to simply tell
> monotone that, oh, actually, I do want to commit both of those
> files, not just one of them.
>
> Possibly an exception should be made to these rules where
> dependencies are involved; dunno.  See below.

[...]

> Regarding the idea of automatically including dependencies, what do
> you think about the case:
>   $ mtn drop bar
>   $ mtn rename foo bar
>   $ mtn commit foo
> Should monotone automatically commit the deletion of "bar"?  It can't
> commit the rename otherwise.

Well, no.  However, it does seem a bit odd that

   $ mtn add foo/bar.c

and

   $ cd foo; mtn add bar.c

behave differently.  Not *very* odd, but I don't think it would hurt
to make them act the same.

Another way of thinking about it is that the arguments you give to
"add" really aren't a restriction in quite the same way as for
"commit": they're just naming files and directories.

I think that's the case, anyway, so I don't think there's danger of
confusion if they behave a little differently?