Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: responses to some IRC discussion of 'automate'

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: responses to some IRC discussion of 'automate'
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:13:52 +0200

Bruce Stephens wrote:
You could also consider caching.  In your GUI, you could cache the
heads of branches along with the timestamp of the database, and that
might help (if you typically want the results several times between
modifications of the database).

I don't like to implement another cache layer on my side since then questions like "when is the cache updated / invalidated" come up. So I think of mtn as my "stash" of data I query everytime I need them. Since I can't influence anything which happens outside of my program with the repository nor the workspace (ok, well, for workspace changes exist interfaces in Qt since 4.2 that tell me that something changed), I also feel comfortable with it, since I delegate this into mtn's hands. Also, if something could be speeded up by a cache, wouldn't be this cache better implemented in mtn so *all* applications benefit from it?

You surely don't need to use Qt's signals and slots for this: just use
straight C++?  That shouldn't be *that* much longer than the Python?

Nah, I'm talking via QProcess to automate stdio and QProcess emits signals when new output is available, so there is no way around to do this platform independent with Qt than doing it "their" way. Also, signals/slots are needed to ensure the main loop is not put on hold for longer actions (otherwise the GUI freezes), and I also want to come around direct thread programming, so yeah, I need signals and slot handling.

Thomas.

--
- "I know that I don't know." (Sokrates)
Guitone, a frontend for monotone: http://guitone.berlios.de