Re: [Monotone-devel] responses to some IRC discussion of 'automate'

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] responses to some IRC discussion of 'automate'
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:15:24 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote
Ok, if it is super-hazardous to expose the same data more than once in the interface, you're right and I'm beaten. For me, even with the use of automate stdio, its more a puzzle to collect all the needed data, since I'd need to do

It's not super hazardous -- there just should be some reason.
[...]
Speed is a reason.  But why do you think this could be slower?
Monotone can't use any smarter of an algorithm then the one you
outline here -- it would run the code that 'automate branches' runs,
then do a loop over that and run the code that 'automate heads' runs X
times, etc.

Ok, last question from me on this whole topic: Would you mind if I create another automate command which returns what I want and I leave mtn automate branches untouched? If not, guitone won't have a branch switching dialog.

I don't care about speed of erase_ancestors, since optimizing this is the job of you guys. I'll just implement it with the currently given possibilities. If any speed complains reach me at any time, I'll just forward them here.

Thomas.

--
- "I know that I don't know." (Sokrates)
Guitone, a frontend for monotone: http://guitone.berlios.de