Re: [Monotone-devel] thought on hierarchical branches

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] thought on hierarchical branches
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:34:17 +0200

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
The problem with a trunk-next-to-branches scheme is that there's
nowhere to put branches-of-branches.  This branch off mainline now has
two branches off it, and I'll probably end up putting one back to the
first branch, then pull the result into the second branch, etc...
branches-of-branches are a deeply Right thing to want, and I wonder
how workflow in other systems suffers from not having any natural way
to talk about this.

Well, I think I once thought about such a possibility myself and wondered if the introduction of "local" branches would be useful for that, which would allow things like "private forks". Subbranches would still live side by side with the main branch, but wouldn't be fetchable/commitable by someone else other than the original branch author. (Sure, this could already be accomplished by using restrictions via Lua hooks somehow, but this way private branches wouldn't even be visible by somebody else, so they also would not visually "pollute" the global branch namespace...)

I'm unsure if "real" subbranches, branches which are only visible if a user is inside a parent branch, can be implemented in any nice way, since I think this would bring in more complexity (code wise and user wise) than it would solve.

Thomas.

--
- "I know that I don't know." (Sokrates)
Guitone, a frontend for monotone: http://guitone.berlios.de