RFC: mtn split (Was: [Monotone-devel] Best practice using monotone)

From: Hugo Cornelis
Subject: RFC: mtn split (Was: [Monotone-devel] Best practice using monotone)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:03:24 -0500

I like the explanation about daggy fixes a lot
(http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/DaggyFixes).  I think what is still
missing in the monotone command set is a command to split one
changeset in multiple changesets.

For example, if a changeset contains a bugfix and a new feature,
perhaps you only need to merge the bugfix (many programmers do commit
many changes at once and as soon as possible).  In the case that F2 is
committed together with changes X, Y, Z, at the very end of the daggy
fixes description, you have :

$ mtn co ... -r B .
$ mtn pluck -r E -r F1
$ mtn commit

should become something like

$ mtn split -r E -r F1 -t B

which results in a series of children of B, say X, Y, Z and F2.  Then
a merge with other revisions is possible, and includes only the bugfix
F2, not the new features X, Y, Z.  From what I have seen of monotone
so far, this should be possible, not sure how difficult it is to
implement...

Hugo