Re: [Monotone-devel] Problem with monotone 0.29

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Problem with monotone 0.29
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:01:40 -0700

On 8/24/06, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
binaries compiled with glibc 2.3, even
with the -static switch, still require glibc 2.3 be available to
fully work.  It's _possible_ this isn't your problem -- the weird
not-quite-static issues only show up in certain cases.  But it's
something to watch out for.

Note that one of the problem cases is name lookup; in particular,
hostname to IP address lookup, which monotone definitely does.  (In a
well-meaning but poorly-thought-out attempt to make /etc/nsswitch.conf
work for static binaries, it tries to dynload whichever libnss_*
modules are relevant, and their dependencies, and thus winds up
of those things that only ever works by accident, well...  And
naturally it won't even come close to working if you haven't got a
complete glibc2.3 install.)

iconv() is also affected, I believe; and even if we didn't use that
directly, the library has a habit of using it behind your back to
implement locale operations.

zw