Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:56:06 -0700

On 9/7/06, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 10:21:35AM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 7 Sep 2006 00:42:36 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

> njs> It's important that a community has a shared vocabulary for
> njs> referencing objects.  I'll suppress my impulse to go off on a
> njs> long digression about the relation between this goal and pet
> njs> names systems, SPKI, blah blah blah, but basically the point is
> njs> that no-one is going to use key hashes to see who committed that
> njs> last change, and the group has to agree on these names so they
> njs> can talk to each other.
>
> I am not suggesting changing the user's experience at all, except to
> make it possible to create a new key with the same name (for example
> to follow up on revocation).  All I'm suggesting is that instead of
> having an internal storage and structure like this:
>
>       key name -> key object
>
> we could (and should, in my opinion) have the following:
>
>       key name -> key hash -> key object
>
> I don't know exactly how the schema would look to implement that,
> how's this for a first guess:
[...]
> As to the private keys, they could be stored on disk as they are
> today, that doesn't matter much, the really truly important thing is
> that a NAME should be able to point to more than one KEY, at least if
> we're going to have any chance at replacing keys that have revoked for
> any reason.  Whether names are globally or locally unique is
> irrelevant, the name will never be local enough when revocation
> happens.

They will be if renaming is possible.  The versioned policy approach
is to put the key-name -> key-object mappings (with or without
intermediate hash value) into an ordinary versioned tree on a special
branch, and the latest version (under some definition) of that branch
always describes the mappings that are in place at a given time.

What you're describing sounds like a totally different approach -- I
can't quite tell from your email if you're intending it to be a
competing proposal, or?

In other words, keys would be stored as files in the policy tree with
the name being the filename?

--
Justin Patrin