Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:51:42 -0700

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 10:18:09AM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> How does it handle this:
>
> mtn co -r<rev before I got banned> ; <mayhem> ;mtn commit ?

If we're talking about a normal branch, like one with code in it, then
this is no problem -- everyone else will ignore the commit, you no
longer have the ability to issue signatures that they will respect.

If we're talking about the permissions branch, and you had write
access to it before (roughly, were a project administrator), then you
can create a fork like this.  Monotone isn't going to be able to
arbitrate between two administrators who cut each other off.

(Compare to when someone with root access to the project boxes goes
insane, you're going to have to take some sort of extraordinary
measures, up to finding new hosting.)

The system does have built in a way to resolve the fork, though --
users pick whichever side they prefer, and update their trust seed to
point to that.  The fork turns into two independent projects.

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho