[Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 16:12:05 +0100

Timothy  Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 01:05 -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:

[...]

>> Seems like what is really wanted there is a cross-database merge,
>> where you declare some mapping  between trust in the upstream database
>> and trust in yours (I think the security literature calls this
>> "federation") and use that to copy across the bits you want.  I'd
>> think this would be easier in monotone than in many other systems due
>> to the content addressing...
>
> er, so monotone would have to learn to work with multiple databases,
> now?

I hope not.  I was imagining some special command that would pull in a
branch marking it in some way as imported for the purpose of
merge_into_dir.

Maybe that wouldn't work, though.  On the whole I suspect it'll be
cleaner to bit the bullet and devise some way to partition databases
such that you can have more than one trust seed.  I don't know,
though.

Maybe it's better to try things: start by implementing just the one
trust seed per database scheme, and see how that works out?