Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [patch] roster-deltas (40% pull speedup)

From: Rob Schoening
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [patch] roster-deltas (40% pull speedup)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:15:47 -0700

I went ahaed an added your answer to the Glossary on the wiki, Tim.

This question had been nagging at me for some time as well.  ;-)

RS

On 9/8/06, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 16:18 +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> > Is there a description somewhere just what rosters are?  The last word I
> > remember on the subject many months ago was that they were an internal
> > data structure that was hard to explain.  Has there been any movement
> > on the explanation front since then?
>
> Yeah, I'd like to get a better understanding, too. The wiki is severely
> out of date...

It's like a manifest, except it also has various pieces of internal
metadata used to make merging faster.

In our data structures, this is split into roster_t, which maps nodes
(files or dirs) to an id and holds the attributes (content hash (for
files), attrs, (parent id, name) pair) for the nodes, and a marking_map
which holds multi-*-merge metadata.

When serialized, these two structures get mixed to make the text version
of a roster.

Tim
--
Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net